Labels

6/07/2012

Indian Feast for Philly Family Dinner Night


In an unfamiliar place, there are few more comforting than familiar faces. When T.C. and I first moved to Philadelphia, we only knew a handful of people located just six houses down from us. At the time, through the murkiness of what was a move and new job, we didn't see just how important these people would soon be to us. On one of our runs, Amanda thought of the brilliant idea of establishing Philly Family Dinner Night--a potluck dinner taking place once a week for all friends in the area to come and enjoy. 

This Indian feast was a collaboration of wonderful people, friends new and old. Kartik made most of the dishes:  Kaali Daal (Black Daal), Spicy Potato Roast, Panch Phoran Chicken, and Keema (Indian-style ground meat). Heather made the Raita--a dish liquid salad of yogurt, cucumber, and spices (the delicious recipe can be found here). I made the Naan (click here for the tasty recipe). Kartik's mouthwatering descriptions of these delicious dishes are found below:

Pictured from bottom and onward, clockwise: Raita, Panch Phoran Chicken, Keema, Spicy Potato Roast, Kaali Daal
--with a side of Naan


Chicken cooked with yogurt and spices. The particular spice that Kartik used was called panch phoran, hence the term Panch Phoran Chicken in Eastern India. The dish requires very little oil, offering a healthy vibe. Don't let that steer you away, butter lovers. This dish has the most amazing aroma, and even better taste--one of cumin and fennel. A recipe for this foodgasmic dish can be found here. It's one of Kartik's favorite dishes, so you may want to give it a try.


The Spicy Potato Roast is fried with lots of love, oil, coriander, and turmeric. This dish isn't typically made in India, but a friend of Kartik's (from Southern India) taught him how to make it. I consider myself a lover of all food, but potatoes take the cake. And, this potato dish is one of the best I've ever tried. The coriander and turmeric combine to make an exotic flavor I've never tasted before this night. A recipe for the Heavenly (yet simple) dish can be found here.


Kaali Daal, or Daal Makkhani (Black Daal) is a dish of lentils, usually paired with spicy meat. This dish is a popular Pakistani dish, surprisingly tasting of garlic, tomato, and ginger. I can't wait to make this dish myself. And when I do, I'll use this yummy-sounding recipe. Side note: It seems as though this dish calls for a trip to an international market.


This dish might be considered mincemeat by some Americans, but called Keema, Indian-style ground beef, by those of India. It consists of beef, sautéed onions, yogurt, and spices. The meat concoction requires a bit of time to make, but the flavors are worth the wait. Kartik noted that the combination is added to many dishes, including lasagna; though, it is pretty amazing on its own. A recipe can be found here.

Eat your heart out.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More