Labels

6/02/2012

Maple, Vanilla Breakfast Bread Pudding


Baking bread pudding takes me back to age seven, when I first learned of the then-seemingly strange dish--"Soggy bread...baked in the oven? Do I dare?" I'm in the dining room, listening to my mom, aunts, uncles exchanging stories of what once was. My Uncle Todd, one of the many artists of the family, prepared this dish like one of his works of art. When it came out of the oven, I almost didn't want to eat it, it was so beautiful. I'm glad I did. Turns out, this soggy oven-baked bread is one of the most perfect comfort foods--one that will always remind me of home.


I have tried a number of different bread pudding recipes, but I've never tried one I like more than this one. Here is the original recipe (as usual, I tweaked it at least a little). Trust me, you'll want to start your day off with this mouth-watering dish.
T.C. rates: 5 beards




Ingredients:
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. maple syrup
6 slices bread (I used French bread), torn or cut into bite size pieces
4 eggs
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla paste, or vanilla bean or vanilla extract (I used extract)
1/4 tsp. salt



Directions:


Place the brown sugar, maple syrup, and butter into the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Heat in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the sugar has dissolved and the butter is melted. Stir the ingredients together, until the mixture has become combined and smooth.


(Once the bread pudding is done baking, the bottom of the bread will have soaked up this combo and caramelized ever so slightly. Because of this, a maple syrup topping is optional, as the dish is so moist and sweet already. Is your mouth watering yet?)



Evenly place the torn or cubed bread on top of the sugar, maple syrup, butter mixture in the baking dish.




In a medium bowl (large enough to fit the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, and salt), beat the eggs until smooth.


Whisk in the milk, cream, vanilla, and salt to the beaten eggs.


Once the whisking is finished, pour the the egg mixture over the bread; do not stir!


Press the bread pieces down, so that they all absorb as much of the egg mixture as possible. Cover the dish with foil and set it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and there isn't any runny egg mixture.



The bottom of the bread pudding is nice and sweet, but you can add a tablespoon or two of maple syrup if your tooth is feeling extra sweet.



Eat your heart out.


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More