Labels

5/22/2012

Traditional Stuffed Bell Peppers



Overall, this dish was pretty delicious, but it left a little something to be desired. If I were to do it over again, I would amp up the zest. I'd say it needs more salt and worcestershire sauce; of course, T.C. says "It could be cheesier." I would suggest that, before boiling the peppers, add sea salt to the water in order to flavor the peppers themselves.
T.C. gives it 3.5/5 beards










Original recipe found here.


Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef (I only had one lb. already defrosted--I'll use a 1/2 lb. for this recipe and freeze the other for a spaghetti sauce base another night) 


  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
  • 1 c. cooked rice
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tbsp. worcestershire
  • 1 tomato, chopped (for extra texture)
  • rosemary
  • cayenne pepper--you'll learn quickly that I hardly ever make a dish without this stuff
  • sharp cheddar cheese


Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. 


Place peppers in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place in ice water. (Here's where you may want to consider spooning a couple tbsp. of sea salt into the water for added flavoring.)


At this point, go ahead and invert the peppers on paper towels.


In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup tomato sauce, rice, salt, garlic powder and pepper. 



While the meat and onion are cooking, boil water for the rice; add rice and cook according to directions on the box/bag.


By this time, your kitchen is smelling pretty Heavenly. Once all of the ingredients were combined (except rice), I removed half of my 1 lb. of meat for my future spaghetti sauce base. Add the rice and mix together.


Spoon the mixture into peppers.


Place in an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with remaining tomato sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender. Delish.


Eat your heart out.

Pin It Now!

1 comments:

I made this once with an Indian variation to it. It was good, but I realized while eating it that I made a few mistakes. I ended up making it again the other night with my Indian twist, and I think it turned out a little better this time around. Essentially, the variation I put on it is that instead of tomato sauce and cheddar cheese, I made a paneer makhani (butter masala) to fill the peppers with. For those who aren't too familiar with Indian food, paneer is an Indian cheese.

This meal was for my partner (a vegetarian) and myself (definitely not a vegetarian). Because of this, I made the makhani seperate from the ground beef, with the intention of adding the beef to my portion of makhani later. With that in mind, I put the onions and tomatoes in with the makhani and just browned the beef using the other spices. I did however omit the Worcestershire and substituted the cayenne with chopped green chile peppers. I combined the ground beef and paneer makhani for my pepper, right before the baking stage.

If anyone is thinking of trying this Indian twist to these already awesome stuffed peppers, I suggest not using butter masala sauce out of a jar (that was my mistake the firs time I tried it). There's usually a little too much oil/fat in it, which I think would overpower the rest of the dish, especially if you use 80/20 or even 85/15 ground beef. If you make it from scratch or use a premixed dry powdered packet, then you can control how much oil goes into the paneer makhani. Also, if you are having a hard time finding paneer at your regular grocery store, your local Indian grocer may have it (as long as they have a refrigerated section).

I really like both the original and the Indian variations of this dish...I think I'm going to add it to my regular repertoire and alternate between the original and Indian each time I make it.

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More