Labels

7/01/2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Buttermilk


There's something about banana bread, isn't there? I have tried a number of recipes, but this one has got to be my favorite. Here's the original recipe, but stay tuned, as I have a few changes and a banana bread-making tip.

Side note: Good with ice cream as a dessert, or as French toast for breakfast (with whipped cream or maple syrup).

Ingredients:

2 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar (the original recipe calls for 1 1/2 c. white sugar, but a 1/2 c. of brown might add a extra flavor; I didn't use this, but I would the next time)
1 tsp. vanilla (I didn't use this, but I would the next time)
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour, extra for coating the pan
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray. Lightly coat with all-purpose flour.



In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas to desired consistency.



To the bananas, add two eggs; blend thoroughly.



Add the buttermilk, vanilla...


...and the vegetable oil; mix together until smooth.


If you choose, add chocolate chips and/or pecans. I chose chocolate - I always choose chocolate!


Blend until smooth.


To a separate, medium-size bowl, add both types of sugar...


...and flour.


Following, add the salt and baking soda; sift the dry ingredients together.


To the wet mixture, add the dry; thoroughly combine.


Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about one hour, or until an instrument inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out almost clean (the original recipe calls for one hour and a half).

Note: Here's the thing. I find it very difficult to bake a banana bread loaf thoroughly in the oven, without burning the top.

Here's my tip: Bake the loaf for about one hour. Inserted a butter knife in the middle of the loaf. The goal is to have the knife come out *almost* clean. Then, use foil to cover the banana bread loaf while it is still in the pan. Leave on for approximately 20 minutes, and the loaf will continue to bake all the way through. Voilà.



Eat your heart out.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More