Labels

12/25/2012

Homemade Eggnog

My sisters and I are always looking  for something new to add to our traditional, Christmas recipes. This eggnog recipe, pulled and tweaked from Alton Brown's suggestions (so, you already know it's tasty), was not only delicious, but also fun to make.

Ingredients:
  • 8 eggs, separated*
  • 2/3 cup sugar, plus 2 tbsp.
  • 2 pints whole milk
  • 2 c. heavy cream
  • ~ 6 ounces bourbon or rum
  • 2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. freshly grated cinnamon


Directions:
In the medium size bowl, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Slowly add the 2/3 c. sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside. Grate cinnamon and nutmeg.


In a large saucepan, and over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir occasionally, until brought to a rolling boil. Remove the saucepan from heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. Return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, pour into a large mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. While mixing, slowly add the 2 tbsp. of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.



Add desired amount of bourbon or rum to individual glasses. Pour servings of eggnog, mix, and top off with whipped cream. Yum!




* Raw Egg Warning

Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs due to the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell. For recipes that call for eggs that are raw or undercooked when the dish is served, use shell eggs that have been treated to destroy salmonella, by pasteurization or another approved method.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More