Labels

8/19/2012

Cross-Country Road Trip: Day Three, 8/17/12

We kicked off Day 3 by having breakfast with our good friends Mansi and Toni at The Lunch Box, Lexington, KY. We hadn't seen them in months, and this was a great place to meet. There's a children's play corner, which kept the rest of the restaurant relatively peaceful for a nice catch-up. The food itself was excellent. We're talking mouthwatering cheesy grits, biscuits and gravy, build-your-own omelets. I wouldn't expect anything less from Kentucky. I'm jealous our friends live here, even if only for the food and drink.

The Lunch Box Restaurant, Lexington, KY

One thing I had forgotten about Kentucky is the number of bridges there are leading up to Indiana, especially in the Louisville area. A great number. Here's just a taste:
Kentucky






Once we crossed into Indiana and onward into Missouri and Kansas, it became blatantly obvious just how significantly the draught has affected the crops, especially corn and soy. We had heard about this on the news, podcasts, and other media, but seeing it first hand is a completely different story.

Corn or soy field, Missouri.
It's strange how relatively unappealing visiting an arch may seem; that is, until you see it in person. The St. Louis Gateway Arch is nothing short of amazing. Perhaps I will make it to the viewing deck at the keystone one day.

St. Louis, MO, The Gateway Arch

You think these pups are enjoying the ride so far? Yeah, life's ruff.




When we got into Kansas City, MO, one of the first thing we noticed was a Royals game against the White Sox at the Kauffman Stadium:

The Royals, Kauffman Stadium, KC, MO
For a good while on the road into Kansas City, T.C. and I fiercely debated: Is Kansas City two cities in two states, or one city in two states. Think politically vs. phenomenologically.

My argument: two separate political systems/two mayors, two separate states = two cities. T.C.'s argument: two states, yet one business district, one feeling of unity = one city. We figured that we'd grab some barbecue for dinner and ask the locals what they thought.

Unfortunately, we didn't stop in KC because the hotels were wildly priced due to it being a Friday night, so we continued on. We did, however, stop at this little jewel of a restaurant, Dempsey's Burger Pub, in Lawrence, KS just mere blocks away from University of Kansas. We made it for the 10pm Happy Hour and ordered some of our pub favorites along with a couple of beers to wash them down. After driving five states in one day, I'd say we deserved it a bit. Too bad our eyes were bigger than our stomachs.

Dempsey's Burger Pub, Lawrence, KS


Pub favorites: sliders, wings, fries.
States:

  • Kentucky
  • Indiana
  • Illinois
  • Missouri
  • Kansas
Visits:
  • Lexington, KY
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Kansas City, KS
  • KU, Lawrence, KS
  • Junction City, KS
Routes:
  • I-64
  • I-70
We'd love to hear your opinions and the backing behind 'em: Is Kansas City one cities or two?

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Love that you are documenting this!! The wonders of technology! We didn't even own a digital camera when we traveled cross country. I'm not sure they were common then. Looks like an amazing adventure. So happy for your guys!

PS I thought I was publishing as myself... Kathleen :o) Oh well! Brad is jealous!

Hey, Kathleen! It's been such a fun drive so far. I originally wanted to blog about the cross-country trip to keep track of all that we did, the places we visited, and the states we traveled. I'm a little behind on the days, but I'll catch up soon. I'm glad you're enjoying "the ride." Say hi to Auggie and Brad for us. Miss you.

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More