Labels

9/23/2013

Potato Leek Soup for the Soul


Few things inspire my cooking more than a seasonal change. Welcome to autumn -- my favorite time of the year. It seems like the most heartwarming dishes are served when the temps are cool. The romance of the turning leaves, a burning fire, and an early-setting sun melts into every bite.

Over the years, I've flirted with many fall recipes. But, one has kept me coming back: potato leek soup. I typically make it for Super Bowl and tailgate parties, and each time it's a winner.

I learned to cook by watching my mom prepare for our family of seven. So, I tend to prepare meals that could feed a small village. Also, I love the flavor combination of onion and leek, so I try to find the largest of each at the grocery store. You're welcome to adjust the ingredient portions to suit your needs and tastes.

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons salted butter
3 large leeks, thinly sliced
1 large white onion, chopped
8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced and unpeeled
6 cups chicken broth (easily replaced with veggie broth for a vegetarian option)
1 1/4 cups of heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Make sure all ingredients are fully prepped; the potatoes and leeks are thinly sliced and the onions are chopped.



In a large, deep pot, lightly simmer the salted butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the leeks and onion. Saute the combination until the veggies are a mix of transparent and and golden brown. Now, your kitchen smells like something straight out of Heaven. Ryan-Gosling-massaging-your-feet-shirtless kind of Heaven.




To the leek-onion mixture, add the potatoes and broth. In the same pot. How nice and easy is that? Potato sizes vary, so just make sure that you have enough broth to just cover the russets. Keep the heat set at medium until the potatoes are fork tender -- a fork goes cuts through the potato with ease.




Afterward, turn the heat to low. In the same pot and using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until you've reached desired consistency. Think of it this way, the more you mash, the thicker the soup will be. Stir frequently.



Your soup is close to done. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Taste. Taste a lot -- it's the best part of cooking. Adjust the seasonings as necessary. Continue cooking the soup over low heat for an additional 5 minutes.




Serve. Eat your heart out.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More