Labels

10/05/2012

Cross-Country Road Trip: Day Six and Seven, 8/20/12-8/21/12

Thanks for reading. I know it's been a while, but moving (and everything that goes along with it) has taken over around here. But, I'm back in writing mode.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day six and seven of our cross-country trip were spent recuperating from our travels. We settled in a little niche of the Golden Gate Canyon State Park near Black Hawk, Colorado. T.C.'s incredible Aunt Beth and Uncle Dave hosted us in one of the most interesting and unusual houses I've ever visited. Both his aunt and uncle work as bartenders, but their true passion is dedicated to their art.

Below is their backyard. The man in the crescent moon overlooking the fire pit...


Fascinating metal sculptures nestled amongst the trees...


Barber chairs, you see? That's right. Over the week, stories were told of artist folk and wine drinking having led to experiences with what has been coined, "The Wheel of Hair."


The Wheel of Hair is taken quite seriously in this neck of the woods. What you land on is what you get--and what must remain for at least a day. The next day, often a mullet is cut for pictures; then the head is shaved. T.C.'s uncle asked if we wanted to take a spin. T.C., already having sported a mullet years ago, didn't care to re-experience the look. As you could have guessed, I gave a huge PASS.



The guest house:



The walking trail mere yards from the house led into the National Forest. So remote. So peaceful. I could have gotten lost for hours, willingly.





I wasn't the only one who felt that way.




When we got back to the house from our walk, T.C. and I were both tired and famished. He whipped up a delicious snack: halved bagel pan-grilled in butter, marinated artichoke leaves, freshly-shaved parmesan cheese, light salt and pepper. It was honestly one of the best snacks I've ever eaten.


To switch things up a bit, T.C., his aunt, cousin, and I went to the Wild Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery in Nederland, CO, where Dave was working that night. 







It is said that customers believe the Smokehouse has, hands-down, the best wings. Intriguing, right? Lover of all wings, here. Had to have 'em. Along with an additional 5 lbs. of food we couldn't finish. We ordered the slow-smoked pulled pork bowl: a dish that can come with three of the many sides offered: french fries, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, baked beans, corn--you get the point. Better yet, it comes with two choices of their five sauces. Love me some sauce.

The wings really were some of the best wings I've ever had. The pulled pork was mouthwatering. The coleslaw was unbelievable.


To top it off: the beer flight to wash it all down.


This is the first time I had heard of the two-bite brownie sundae--a really clever idea. 


The family: Dave (uncle), T.C., Beth (aunt), Angie (cousin)
A little Q.T. with the pup:




T.C.'s cousin, Elyse, flew into Denver. Perfect timing! The two hadn't seen each other in years, and a visit was long overdue. We picked her up from the airport, met my good friend Cheryl at a wonderful little diner for breakfast, and then headed over to Beth's diner in Boulder (The Village Coffee Shop) for some coffee and a chat. The place was packed the hour we were there. Great vibe, good brew, nice crowd. Customers beware: If you're a first-timer, you will be announced to the entire restaurant. A fun tradition.




Fun in the kitchen, making some seriously delicious pasta primavera.



Our reluctant bye-for-now:

Dave (uncle), Elyse (cousin), T.C.
State:
  • Colorado
Visits:
  • Black Hawk, CO
  • Nederland, CO
  • Boulder, CO
Route:
  • CO-119

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More