Labels

6/14/2012

Summer Coleslaw


This has got to be one of my favorite (side) dishes to make. First, I love this recipe because it screams summer; second, it demands to be tasted throughout the process.


Like many people, I wasn't always a huge fan of coleslaw. I just didn't even bother with it for years. That is, until I met my fiance who was a lover of the side. I decided to make it for a picnic we were invited to. Tasting the ingredients along the way and flavoring it how I would want it to taste personally made a night-and-day difference. Now, I make this recipe each summer, sometimes more than once, and evolve the taste from years past.




Ingredients:


8 cups finely diced cabbage (about 1 head)
1/2 cup diced carrot
3 tbsp. minced onions
1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 tbsp. maple syrup (the good kind)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. buttermilk

2 tbsp. white vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice



Directions:


Finely slice cabbage.


Grate 1/2 c. of carrot, which equals to approximately 1 carrot. Store-bought julienned carrots could also be used, especially if making this dish in a rush.






Add cabbage and carrots to a large bowl.




Finely chop 3 tbsp. of onion, and then add 'em to the bowl with the other veggies.






In a separate bowl, mix together all of the other ingredients (i.e., seasonings, wet ingredients, etc.). Whisk or stir for about 1 minute, or until all of the salt and sugar are fully disolved.




Add the wet mixture to the veggies in the large bowl and mix thoroughly.



At this point, if you haven't been already, go ahead and give it a taste and adjust the seasonings as seen fit. Everyone's tastebuds are different. Once you've got it right, cover and set in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors meld.


Eat your heart out.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More