Labels

6/26/2012

Sweet Corn and Pepper Salsa


Okay, now. I'm not sure about you, but I could probably make a meal purely out of salsa, any day of the year. Yes, year. "In season" does not apply here. Especially when considering the vast variability in terms of recipe (e.g., melon, tomato, squash). That said, I'm always looking for the one recipe to trump all recipes.

Though it is often difficult to find a good corn salsa recipe, I've got to say, this is one of the best I've tried--hands down. And, I'd like to consider myself a pretty "well seasoned" taste tester of this little side dish. Great on tacos, eggs... hello! Most things. Get creative with it.


Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients:

2 c. corn, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1 poblano pepper, halved
1 jalapeño pepper; halved, seeded, ribbed
1/2 red onion, approximately 3 tbsp.
4-5 tbsp. cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp. sugar, ore more to taste
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for grilling 

Directions:

The first goal is to blacken the outer skin of the poblano pepper. This could be done on an outside grill, under the oven broiler, or on the stove in a sauté pan. If using grilling or sautéing methods, heat to medium-high. Otherwise, turn on the broiler.

Slice the poblano pepper in half, lengthwise--from stem to bottom.


Lightly drizzle about one tablespoon of olive oil over the pepper halves; sprinkle with salt.


Place the peppers, skin side down, on the sauté pan or grill for approximately five minutes; skin side up under the broiler. Grill and stove: approximately five minutes; broiler: approximately two minutes. The peppers should be a little soft, but not cooked entirely through. Side note: If the poblano peppers favor one side on the pan or grill, make sure to lean them to the other halfway through to ensure even blackening. 


While the poblano is lightly scorching, thinly slice the seeded and ribbed jalapeño pepper, lengthwise--from stem to bottom.


Finely chop the jalapeño slices.


Once the jalapeño is finely chopped, the poblano pepper ought to be sufficiently blackened.


Seed and rib the poblano pepper halves.


Slice the poblano pepper, wider than the jalapeño...


...and give it a coarse chop.


Cut the red onion in half. I find it easiest to cut lengthwise, as the stem holds the majority together.


Slice...


...and dice into small pieces, approximately the size of those of the jalapeño pepper.


Add the two cups corn, two peppers, and diced onion to a medium to large bowl.



Chop approximately half of a small cilantro bunch. Don't you love that smell? Irresistible.


Add the cilantro to the bowl of corn, peppers, and onion.


Squeeze the juice of one lime into the bowl. You could use lemon; however, that may mean fishing for seeds.


Lightly drizzle approximately one tablespoon of olive oil over the ingredients.


Sprinkle in the 1/2 teaspoon sugar and pinches of salt and pepper. My favorite part: Taste to see if it's to your liking. Add a bit more of whatever it needs.


Gingerly fold the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Looks amazing, doesn't it? Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container.


Eat your heart out.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

made this and ate it with vegetarian chili and nachos. this salsa knocked my socks off. thank you for your brilliance, Jen!!!

Jakana, I'm so glad you liked it! And, the idea of pairing it with chili and nachos is making my mouth water right now. Great job, Lady!

Post a Comment

About

I'm just a girl who loves food, drink, and sharing what tastes right. Some people say I think about food as often as guys are said to think about.... Well, you get the picture. Very seldom am I able to stick to a recipe. If I use someone else's, keep your eyes peeled for some of my own tweaks. I have a sweet tooth, and I like my butter. If I feel so inclined, I'll add a little extra something.

My furry-faced fiance, T.C., will give ratings (e.g., 4 out of 5 beards, or "stars") for each dish.

Feel free to experiment with me. "Re-learn to taste."

Follow

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More